The art of negotiation is an important skill to master in any Small Business. As a Small Business owner, becoming a strong negotiator is critical; it is a major factor in business success. This skill doesn’t come easily to all though; it’s common for people to walk away from deals feeling as though they have been hard done by.
But don’t fear! Negotiator skills can be developed and in this episode, your hosts, Bree James and Andrew Griffiths, discuss all the best ways to make sure that both parties involved in a negotiation get the most out of the deal.
The show welcomes Cian McLoughlin. With a sales career spanning almost 20 years, Cian is a best-selling author, speaker and founder of Trinity Perspectives, a sales consultancy firm committed to unlocking the latent potential of customer insights.
We also discuss things like:
- How to develop your negotiating skills
- Different types of approaches when going into a negotiation
- Characteristics of a bad negotiator
- Creating a win, win negotiating style to build respectful relationships with clients
- Learning how to say no to an unfair deal
- Physically preparing yourself before entering a negotiation
- Reflecting on past negotiations and learning from them
- What micro-negotiations look like in business
- Providing beneficial solutions to a deal without devaluing your service or product
- Knowing when to walk away from a negotiation