OK, I stay at a lot of hotels every year and so do many of you. We all know that the experience can vary a lot, some fantastic, some lousy. I recently stayed at a hotel at Darling Harbour in Sydney which they conveniently forgot to mention was undergoing some serious renovations.
When I rang reception to complain about the noise at 6.45am, I couldn’t hear them on the other end of the line because of the jack hammering in the room next to mine. When I went to reception in my underwear, there were about 50 people (none in their underwear) at the counter complaining. One small “ooopsy” – not telling people about major renovations.
Anyway, I’m rambling. So, I have a few bug bears that drive me crazy when I’m at a hotel for work – but I’m really keen to know what drives you crazy so I can write an article about it for Inc.com.
I understand completely that these are first world problems, and yep, there are bigger things to worry about in life than any of this – but for those who spend half their lives in a little square room, have a rant and lets see if we can bring some change to hotels that just don’t get it.
Here are a few of mine to get you started:
- Lousy internet – 4kb an hour. I recently stayed at a hotel that was so proud to offer 50mb of free date – that’s not enough to check email these days.
- There is only one power point in the room – and it is in the most inconvenient place to reach.
- Credit card style keys that never work – meaning you finally get to your room after a long day, the key doesn’t work and you have to go back to reception, line up, get a new key cut and pray that it will work.
- Rooms that have been badly cleaned – the shower still has the back hair from the last person who stayed in the room.
- Complicated light switches – it takes you an hour to figure out which light switch works which light – and it is impossible to turn them all off at one time – so you sleep with a pillow over your face.
Please respond here with your pet peeves – I’ll post this on social media as well – and report back when I get the results. Until then, keep enjoying that lousy room service, $29,95 per day internet (with an allowance that will let you receive 2.4 emails) and the iron that stains your clothes.
A Grumpy AG…..
UPDATE – I have since compiled the responses and put together an article which was just published on Inc.com to highlight our 35 biggest irritations when it comes to staying out hotels – Check it out HERE.