This is an interesting commercial promoting Singapore as a tourist destination. Clearly they have done their homework, identifying what Australian’s think about Singapore and then addressing several key negative perceptions head on, with a series of energetic, image based clips. Personally I really like this strategy, because it feels honest.
So what can small business owners learn from this?
1. Firstly it is important to do your homework and find out exactly what your customers perceptions of your business (good and bad) may be.
2. Secondly we have to be able to categorise these in several key perceptions that we might not agree with, but that need to change (in other words don’t argue about them, address them head on).
3. Work out what you want your customers perceptions of your business to be (the opposite of the negative perceptions I imagine).
4. Set up fixing up the problems and/or educating your customers and potential customers to show that their perceptions are not right. In other words change their story.
5. Go through this process often.